Series Vol. 24 , 13 September 2023
* Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
Inflation and volatility have reached previously unheard-of heights as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic's significant market disruptions. The purpose of this paper is to examine the pandemic's short- and long-term effects on financial markets while taking into account how these effects vary across nations and geographical areas. Investors, businesses, and governments around the world have faced enormous challenges as a result of the initial stock market decline in February and March 2020 as well as the ongoing economic volatility and unpredictability.
financial market, COVID-19 pandemic, risk management, fiscal and monetary stimulus, investment environment
1. Kohli, A. (2021). The accelerated digital transformation of finance in response to COVID-19. Journal of Financial Transformation, 52, 69-76.
2. Johannes, C. E., Kollenberg, T., & Pinter, J. (2020). The stock market and the severity of the pandemic. Journal of Banking & Finance, 120, 110849.
3. Chen, X., Lu, Y., & Shi, Y. (2020). COVID-19 and the financial system. Finance Research Letters, 35, 101604.
4. Nguyen, N. (2020). COVID-19 and the future of risk management. Journal of Risk Management in Financial Institutions, 13(4), 331-338.
5. Liu, Y., & Yan, H. (2021). COVID-19 impact and recovery of global stock markets: Evidence from selected countries. Journal of Risk and Financial Management, 14(4), 146. doi:10.3390/jrfm14040146
6. Véron, N. (2020). The COVID-19 financial crash: A preliminary analysis. Bruegel Policy Contribution, 2020/09. Retrieved from https://www.bruegel.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/PC-09-2020-English.pdf
7. Congressional Research Service. (2021). The CARES Act: Summary and analysis. Retrieved from https://fas.org/sgp/crs/natsec/IN11370.pdf
8. Bailey, M. (2021). Pandemic investors are going long on tech stocks. Financial Times. Retrieved from https://www.ft.com/content/177c6f47-43a3-4a9d-96a3-61443f89a245
9. CNBC. (2021). Amazon's stock price hits new all-time high as consumers continue to flock to e-commerce during the pandemic. https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/12/amazons-stock-price-hits-new-all-time-high.html
10. JLL. (2021). Beyond the pandemic: The future of work and the workplace. https://www.us.jll.com/en/trends-and-insights/research/beyond-the-pandemic-the-future-of-work-and-the-workplace
11. Deloitte. (2020). COVID-19: Managing supply chain risk and disruption. https://www2.deloitte.com/global/en/pages/about-deloitte/articles/covid-19/managing-supply-chain-risk-and-disruption.html
12. McKinsey & Company. (2020). COVID-19 and the consumer: A permanent shift to value. https://www.mckinsey.com/business-functions/marketing-and-sales/our-insights/covid-19-and-the-consumer-a-permanent-shift-to-value
13. BlackRock. (2020). Sustainable investing: Resilience amid uncertainty. https://www.blackrock.com/us/individual/literature/whitepaper/bii-esg-resilience-amid-uncertainty-us.pdf
14. Horton, M., & Milani, C. (2020). The COVID-19 pandemic and emerging market economies: Research agenda and data needs. Emerging Markets Review, 44, 100669.
15. Ostry, J. D., & Ghosh, A. R. (2020). The COVID-19 pandemic and emerging markets: Lessons from past crises. IMF Blog. Retrieved from https://blogs.imf.org/2020/08/07/the-covid-19-pandemic-and-emerging-markets-lessons-from-past-crises/
16. Kaminker, C., Sankhe, S., & Boudreau, K. J. (2020). COVID-19 and the future of emerging markets. World Economic Forum. Retrieved from https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/04/covid-19-and-the-future-of-emerging-markets/
17. Levy-Yamamori, R., & Serafeim, G. (2020). Socially responsible firms and the COVID-19 crisis. Harvard Business Review. Retrieved from https://hbr.org/2020/04/socially-responsible-firms-and-the-covid-19-crisis
18. Mishra, S., Nayak, B., & Padhan, R. (2020). Covid-19 pandemic and the digital economy: Short-and long-term impacts and policy implications. Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 163, 120452.
19. Bown, C. P. (2020). Global supply chains in the pandemic. Journal of International Business Policy, 3(3), 287-301.
20. International Energy Agency (IEA). (2020). Renewables 2020. Retrieved from https://www.iea.org/reports/renewables-2020
21. BBC News. (2020, March 26). Coronavirus: How the world of work may change forever. Retrieved from https://www.bbc.com/news/business-52054918
22. Mazumdar, S. (2021). ESG investing and the COVID-19 pandemic. Journal of Sustainable Finance & Investment, 11(1), 1-10.
23. Gardner, B. (2021). Resilience and adaptability: Key lessons from the pandemic for financial markets. Global Finance Journal, 47, 100555.
The datasets used and/or analyzed during the current study will be available from the authors upon reasonable request.