Series Vol. 11 , 13 September 2023
* Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
After a record year in 2021, there is a sharp slowdown in transactions in the global IPO market in the first and second quarters of 2022. The global IPO market has fallen into low inflation, the global economic growth rate has declined, and the Russian Ukrainian war has led to a sharp sell-off in the IPO market. This article is written against such background, and mainly analyzes two ways of listing, SPAC, and IPO. Based on the analysis and comparison of the process, advantages and disadvantages of SPAC and IPO, this paper summarizes the choices and reasons for investors to choose different listing methods for different companies. On this basis, the future development trend of traditional IPO and SPAC IPO is predicted. The analysis of the two listing methods in this paper is based on the current market performance, and there may be unforeseen changes in the future.
special purpose acquisition company, initial public offering, regulatory system, mergers and acquisition business, uncertainty, equity dilution
1. Klausner, M., Ohlrogge, M. and Ruan, E., 2022. A Sober look at SPACs. [ebook] european corporate governance institute, p.10. Available at: <http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.3720919>
2. Shachmurove, Y. and Vulanovic, M., 2017. SPAC IPOs. [ebook] p.29. Available at: <http://https ://ssrn.com/abstract=2898102>
3. SPAC Insiders. 2022. SPAC IPO Transactions Statistics. [online] Available at: <https://spacinsider.com/stats/>
4. Stock Analysis. 2022. IPO Statistics and Charts | Stock Analysis. [online] Available at: <https://stockanalysis.com/ipos/statistics/>
5. EY, Dealogic, 2022. YTD 2022 saw dramatic slowdown in global IPO activity from a record year in 2021. [online] Available at: <https://www.ey.com/en_gl/news/2022/06/ytd-2022-saw-dramatic-slowdown-in-global-ipo-activity-from-a-record-year-in-2021>
6. Blomkvist, M. and Vulanovic, M., 2020. SPAC IPO Waves. SSRN Electronic Journal, [online] 197(109645). Available at: <https://doi.org/10.1016/j.econlet.2020.109645>.
7. Malhotra, N. and Tandon, K., 2013. Determinants of Stock Prices: Empirical Evidence from NSE 100 Companies. [ebook] International Journal of Research in Management & Technology, p.86. Available at: <https://d1wqtxts1xzle7.cloudfront.net/51750156/1_Determinants_of_Stock_Prices_Empirical_Evidence_from_NSE_100_Companies-with-cover-page-v2.pdf?Expires=1662909485&Signature=AqK7sfDNVKMBNlU98i2sbpqF-Cu35IOaiv6zunJuGLcY~CimeG64PjcrGcO566ZNqvMsft5wovWn6ccBAjsmc8SMbiMuxIwIXa1CqgN7DvjMWqVLA4mqgO3dovTLBSp6abqJHQLW6PvZC6hazeSiePQtOoO49q8S5rdSKFoDZ7kBkyy2LGVoeC8HDYlv2EQ3WMpt~fPFcusoYXIkdW0UFt53jO9I9u9Z7ggc0QqIKr9jJHiIysQiN9ERJtD6XNlDs~sVs3udjYnAqOo17O0zl47k8Ztljo9~IgJ-QsqrnNmZOvTKCYZuf3yBToHyv3AiZUnFVLmC0M9ar6d9-9yvCw__&Key-Pair-Id=APKAJLOHF5GGSLRBV4ZA>
8. Chandrasekhar, C. and Malik, S., n.d. The elusive retail investor: How deep can (and should) India's stock markets be?. [ebook] pp.7-9. Available at: <https://www.sebi.gov.in/sebi_data/DRG_Study/elusiveretailinvestor.pdf>
9. Datar, V., Emm, E. and Ince, U., 2012. Going public through the back door: A comparative analysis of SPACs and IPOs. [ebook] p.32. Available at: <http://ccsu.financect.net/FTC205/BFR0920Papers/224-851-1-PB.pdf> [Accessed 12 September 2022].
10. CNBC, 2021. DOJ and SEC send warning to SPACs with criminal charges against Nikola founder Trevor Milton. [online] Available at: <https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/02/nikola-founder-criminal-charges-puts-other-spacs-on-notice.html>
11. Henry-Reid, T., 2022. Three reasons to prefer an Initial Public Offering Over a SPAC. [ebook] Available at: <http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.4078371> [Accessed 12 September 2022].
12. PYMNTS, 2020. Why Airbnb is Saying 'Thanks, But No Thanks' To Bill Ackman's SPAC. [online] Available at: <https://www.pymnts.com/news/ipo/2020/why-airbnb-is-saying-thanks-but-no-thanks-to-bill-ackmans-spac/> [Accessed 12 September 2022].
The datasets used and/or analyzed during the current study will be available from the authors upon reasonable request.