Series Vol. 12 , 13 September 2023
* Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
George Floyd, an African-American man, was killed by a white police officer on May 25, 2020. Floyd's words "I can't breathe" appeal once again exposed the long-term pain of racial discrimination in the United States, and the resulting wave of protests has swept the United States. This article investigates the impact of racism in the economy and emerging social issues. The research was gathered from authoritative academic resources examining the causes of racism and its impact on society. The results showed that people will be treated differently based on their skin color. The study concluded that racism would affect American society more severely and deeply if without strong and effective methods and policies. It is suggested that the U.S. government can introduce relevant policies to gradually eliminate the influence of racial discrimination and ensure that the voices of those who suffer from racial discrimination can be heard by the public.
racism, racial discrimination, reason of racism
1. People’s Daily (6 September 2021). The problem of racial discrimination in the United States is deeply rooted (in-depth observation). http://news.jcrb.com/jszx/202109/t20210906_2316614.html
2. Warren, Deirdre M (September 2013). Color-blind racism in post-obama America: an examination of attitudes toward hurricane katrina evacuees in Houston, Texas. Vol. 5, Iss. 3, pp.213-225. https://www.proquest.com/docview/1417960286#
3. Rose Willie Lee (01 December 1976). A Documentary History of Slavery in North America. https://academic.oup.com/ahr/article-abstract/81/5/1212/89776?redirectedFrom=fulltext&login=false
4. Tim Soutphommasane (22 April 2014). Racism is a Moral Issue. https://www.abc.net.au/religion/racism-is-a-moral-issue/10099288
5. Sharon E. Watkins (1 May 2015) Racism Is Poisoning Our Society. https://time.com/3843203/racism-is-poisoning-our-society/
6. Yin Paradies, Jehonathan Ben, Nida Denson, Amanuel Elias, Naomi Priest, Alex Pieterse, Arpana Gupta, Margaret Kelaher, Gilbert Gee (23 September 2015). Racism as a Determinant of Health: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4580597/
7. Margaret O’Brien Caughy, Patricia J. O’Campo, Carles Muntaner (December 2004). Experiences of Racism Among African American Parents and the Mental Health of Their Preschool-Aged Children. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1448601/
8. Carolyn Gregoire (10 July 2015). A Psychologist’s Explanation Of Why Racism Perists In AMerica. https://www.huffpost.com/entry/social-psychology-racism_n_7688910
9. Lauren Lee (26 September 2016). How Racism Still Exists In The American Job Market. https://www.theodysseyonline.com/racism-job-market
10. Joy Resmovits (21 March 2014). American Schools Are Still Racist, Government Report Finds.https://www.huffpost.com/entry/schools-discrimination_n_5002954
11. Jacqueline Johnson, Sharon Rush, Joe Feagin (January 2000). Doing Anti-Racism: Toward an Egalitarian American Society. Vol. 29, no. 1, pp.95-110. https://www.jstor.org/stable/2654935
12. Shaun King (30 December 2016). America’s schools must have zero tolerance for racist teachers and board members.https://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/king-america-schools-zero-tolerance-racism-article-1.2928823
13. Jim Wallis (2007). America’s original sin: The Legacy of White Racism. Vol. 57, no. 2, pp.197-202, 309-310. https://www.jstor.org/stable/24461363
14. FEELTHEBERN (2017). Being sanders on racial justice. https://feelthebern.org/bernie-sanders-on-racial-justice/
15. Sean McElwee (24 March 2015). The hidden racism of young white Americans https://www.pbs.org/newshour/nation/americas-racism-problem-far-complicated-think
16. Byron Allen (4 June 2016). 8 Solutions to Fix the Great American Crisis. https://www.huffpost.com/entry/the-great-american-crisis_b_7506508
The datasets used and/or analyzed during the current study will be available from the authors upon reasonable request.