Series Vol. 19 , 13 September 2023
* Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
In China, in addition to KFC and McDonald's, there are numerous new Chinese fast food restaurants, such as Mr. Rice, Xiangcun Ji, Real Kung Fu, etc. In China, however, KFC has done a much better job of "adapting to the local cuisine and implementing numerous adjustments" than McDonald's. Therefore, Chinese fast food has much to learn from them. This study will employ three methods of research: comparative analysis, survey method, and case study. The study explains why KFC performs significantly better than McDonald's in China, both in terms of revenue and number of locations. The paper analyzed several business strategies that can be taught from KFC's business model in order to make China's new fast food as global as KFC. The paper demonstrates to the viewers how to use KFC's superior marketing techniques to Chinese fast food and turn it into a global chain. The paper will provide some suggestions for these fast food restaurants in becoming more international and expanding their number of stores, as well as teaching them how to apply marketing strategies to increase their revenue.
Chinese fast food, KFC, McDonald’s, marketing, chain store
1. Jin. “Difference between McDonald's, KFC and Subway.” Research, Scholarships, Funding Agencies, Certifications, 19 Aug. 2020, https://researchpedia.info/difference-between-mcdonalds-kfc-and-subway/.
2. Xiao Ping. “Competitors and Companions: KFC and McDonald's in China.” The Global Network for Advanced Management, 1 June 2018. https://globalnetwork.io/perspectives/2017/01/competitors-and-companions-kfc-and-mcdonalds-china.
3. “4 Reasons Why Localization Is so Important.” Vnlocalize, 10 Mar. 2021, http://vnlocalize.com/4-reasons-localization-important/.
4. “KFC Franchise: Costs, Fees & Earning Stats (2022).” The Wolf of Franchises, 16 June 2022, https://wolfoffranchises.com/kentucky-fried-chicken-franchise-kfc/.
5. Shen, Qiaowei. “McDonald’s and KFC in China: Competitors or Companions?” Marketing, 2013, https://faculty.wharton.upenn.edu/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/mksc-2013-0824-(2).pdf.
6. Rui, Yikang. “A Comparative Analysis of the Distributions of KFC and McDonald’s ...” Isprs, 2016, https://www.researchgate.net/publication/297607605_A_Comparative_Analysis_of_the_Distributions_of_KFC_and_McDonald%27s_Outlets_in_China.
7. Yu, Cui. “American Fast Food in Chinese Market: A Cross-Cultural Perspective ...” Researchgate, 2009, https://www.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:286121/fulltext01.
8. Wang, Youfa, et al. “A Review of the Growth of the Fast Food Industry in China and Its Potential Impact on Obesity.” International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, U.S. National Library of Medicine, 9 Nov. 2016. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5129322/.
9. van Erpecum, Carel-Peter L, et al. “The Association between the Presence of Fast-Food Outlets and BMI: The Role of Neighbourhood Socio-Economic Status, Healthy Food Outlets, and Dietary Factors.” BMC Public Health, U.S. National Library of Medicine, 27 July 2022, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9331587/.
The datasets used and/or analyzed during the current study will be available from the authors upon reasonable request.