Series Vol. 23 , 13 September 2023
* Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
As a highly indebted industry, the civil aviation transportation industry's debt risk management is crucial to its everyday operations. After the emergence of COVID-19 in early 2020, a number of airlines have been adversely affected by variables such as a reduction in the number of passengers, and their operating revenue has been severely impacted, with some even facing the possibility of insolvency. How to control the size and risk of debt is particularly crucial when income is low. On the basis of empirical analysis, this paper collects and sorts the financial data of three large state-owned civil aviation enterprises (China Southern Airlines, Air China, and China Eastern Airlines), selects several debt risk measurement indicators to analyse the impact of the epidemic on the debt risk of civil aviation enterprises, and offers corresponding recommendations for the management of airline debt risk.
civil aviation enterprises, debt risks, COVID-19, empirical analysis
1. Official website of Ministry of Transport of the People's Republic of China, 2020. https://www.mot.gov.cn/tongjishuju/minhang/index_2.html
2. Franco Modigliani, Merton H. Miller The Cost of Capital, Corporation Finance and the Theory of Investment The American Economic Review [J] Vol. 48, No. 3 (Jun., 1958), pp. 261-297 (37 pages)
3. Jiao Ying. Strategies to deal with financial crisis in highly leveraged enterprises [J]. International Business Finance and Accounting,2009, No.251(11):32-33.
4. Official website of China Southern Airlines, 2021. https://www.csair.com/cn/about/gongsijianjie/
5. Official website of Air China, 2021. http://www.airchina.com.cn/cn/about_us/company.shtml
6. Official website of China Eastern Airlines, 2021. https://www.ceair.com/global/static/AboutChinaEasternAirlines/intoEasternAirlines/chinaeasternInto/index.html
7. Stephen A. Ross, Randolph W Westerfield, Jeffrey F. Jaffe, Bradford D. Jordan Corporate Finance, 11th Edition [M]. China Machine Press. 2018: 45-48.
8. Official website of China Southern Airlines, 2022. https://www.csair.com/en/about/investor/yejibaogao/2022/
9. Gu Yun. Research on Corporate Debt Risk and Control [J]. Tax Payment, 2019, 20.
10. Official website of Air China, 2022. http://www.airchina.com.cn/en/investor_relations/financial_info_and_roadshow.shtml
11. Official website of China Eastern Airlines, 2022. https://www.ceair.com/global/static/AboutChinaEasternAirlines/intoEasternAirlines/InvestorRelations/periodicReports/
12. PENG Q. Analysis of operation management and control of civil aviation enterprises under the impact of epidemic [J]. China Aviation Weekly,2020, No.1398(51):64-65.
The datasets used and/or analyzed during the current study will be available from the authors upon reasonable request.