Series Vol. 26 , 13 September 2023
* Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
Since it came out, the multiplayer video game Overwatch from Blizzard Entertainment has only had a brief period of success and has been going downhill ever since. This study examines the operative and developing problems in Overwatch 1 and 2 from the consumers' and players' viewpoints to determine their reasons. It then builds a theoretical framework of organizational behavior to explore and explain those identified issues with reputation, customer experience and happiness, customer resonance, and corporate culture compliance. Practical solutions and suggestions that might be helpful for Blizzard Entertainment and further updates on Overwatch are also provided, involving performance management, employee selection, and customer interactions.
overwatch, customer experience, customer satisfaction, customer service
1. Activision Blizzard. (2023). Retrieved from https://www.activisionblizzard.com/
2. Grubb, J. (2016). Overwatch was the fastest-selling game of May, beating Doom and Uncharted 4. Retrieved from https://venturebeat.com/business/overwatch-was-the-fastest-selling-games-of-may-beating-doom-and-uncharted-4/
3. Overwatch - IMDb. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4332152/awards/
4. Newham, Thomas, Scelles, Nicolas ORCID logo and Valenti, Maurizio ORCID logo (2022) The Consequences of a Switch to Free-to-Play for Overwatch and Its Esports League. Journal of Risk and Financial Management, 15 (11). p. 490. ISSN 1911-8066
5. Overwatch 2 Bans Thousands of Cheaters in Purge. (2022). Retrieved from https://gamerant.com/overwatch-2-bans-cheaters/
6. PlayOverwatch. (2018). Developer Update | Avoid as Teammate | Overwatch [Video]. Retrieved January 22, 2023, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q4SgeC8h_A
7. Introducing Role Queue:23060961. (2019). Retrieved from https://undefined/en-us/news/23060961/introducing-role-queue/
8. PlayOverwatch. (2019). Developer Update | Role Queue | Overwatch [Video]. Retrieved January 22, 2023, from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYYDCFOTSO0
9. Overwatch, a Team-Based Shooter. (2023). Retrieved from https://overwatch.blizzard.com/en-us/heroes/
10. Overwatch Season 23 Is Live With New Open Queue for Competitive. (2020). Retrieved from https://gamerant.com/overwatch-season-23-competitive-open-queue/
11. Overwatch 2 is changing to a 5v5 game. (2021). Retrieved from https://www.polygon.com/22446155/overwatch-2-5v5-changes-blizzard
12. N. (2022). Not All of Overwatch 2’s Tanks Fit The New 5v5 System. Retrieved from https://gamerant.com/overwatch-2-characters-roles-tanks-5v5-pvp/
13. Overwatch 2 Explained: Battle Pass, Shop, Hero Unlocks, and more:23824003. (2022). Retrieved from https://undefined/en-us/news/23824003/
14. Overwatch 2 players call for boycott over $20 “scam” skins - Dexerto. (n.d.). Retrieved from https:///overwatch/overwatch-2-players-call-for-boycott-over-20-scam-skins-1968688/
15. Angry Overwatch 2 Fans Call for Boycott. (2022). Retrieved from https://gamerant.com/overwatch-2-boycott-why/
16. Macey, J., Bujić, M. (2022). The Talk of the Town: Community Perspectives on Loot Boxes. In: Ruotsalainen, M., Törhönen, M., Karhulahti, VM. (eds) Modes of Esports Engagement in Overwatch. Palgrave Macmillan, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-82767-0_11
17. Overwatch 2: How to unlock heroes. (2022). Retrieved from https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/overwatch-2-unlock-heroes
18. Daft, R., & Armstrong, A. (2021). Organization Theory and Design. Toronto: Cengage Learning Canada.
19. Blamey, C., Consalvo, M., Concordia University (Montréal, Québec), & Concordia University (Montréal, Québec). Department of Communication Studies. (2020). Bringing down the Banhammer: understanding the impact of competitive players on moderation tactics in overwatch (dissertation). Concordia University.
20. Grainer M, Broetzmann S.M, Noble C.H, and Bitner M.J. 2014. “What Unhappy Customers Want.” Mit Sloan Management Review 55(3):31–35.
21. Overwatch 2 removes anti-cheat function after accusations of barring poorer players. (n.d.). Retrieved from https://finance.yahoo.com/news/overwatch-2-removes-anti-cheat-101037522.html
22. Peacock, M., Stewart, E. B., & Belcourt, M. (2019). Understanding Human Resources Management: A Canadian Perspective. Nelson Education Ltd., Toronto.
23. Cecchi-Dimeglio, P. (2022). 6 Ways to Make Performance Reviews More Fair. Harvard Business Review. Retrieved from https://hbr.org/2022/07/6-ways-to-make-performance-reviews-more-fair
24. Scott, G. (2001). The voice of the customer: is anyone listening? Journal of Healthcare Management / American College of Healthcare Executives, 46(4), 221–3.
25. Johns, G. & Saks, A. M. (2020). Organizational Behaviour: Understanding and Managing Life at Work, Eleventh Edition, Toronto, CA: Pearson Education
The datasets used and/or analyzed during the current study will be available from the authors upon reasonable request.