Series Vol. 25 , 13 September 2023
* Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
As the number of Starbucks shops in China continues to increase, Starbucks’ focus on creating high-end products has neglected some of the basic needs of the consuming public. With negative press, the emergence of more and more peer competitors, and the impact of the new crown pneumonia epidemic, Starbucks should change its current status quo, improve its reputation, make corporate innovations, and change marketing strategies. This paper will analyze Starbucks’ current internal and external environments as well as its marketing strategy using a combination of theory and practice, using SWOT analysis theory and a comparison with competitors such as Luckin Coffee and %Arabica Coffee to elaborate, and give some feasible suggestions for corporate innovation. Through SWOT analysis, Starbucks should adopt a “coffee + ” strategy to bundle sales, increase the variety of coffee derivatives, expand partner brands, and take advantage of the Internet to create a Netflix brand to drive traffic.
localized marketing strategies, Starbucks Coffee, corporate innovation, SWOT analysis
1. Zhang Xinrui. Analysis of marketing strategy of Starbucks (China) [D]. Jilin University, 2014.
2. Starbucks Q1 FY2023 results: $8.7 billion in revenue, underperforming in China. Sun Meina. www.iyiou.com. 2023.02.03. https://www.iyiou.com/news/202302031041171
3. Xing Yuan, Mou Xiaowei. Exploration of Starbucks marketing strategy [J]. Cooperative Economics and Technology, (14):80-81. (2022).
4. Starbucks China unveils 2025 strategic vision, heavy investment to accelerate growth momentum New growth plan is value-driven, with six engines working in tandem. Starbucks China.2022.09.14. https://www.starbucks.com.cn/about/news/starbucks-strategic-vision/
5. Qi Yujun. Analysis of corporate marketing strategy under the threshold of cross-culture — taking Starbucks as an example [J]. Modern trade industry, 40(06):54-56. (2019).
6. Luo Lin. Research on marketing strategy of Starbucks in China [D]. Southwest Jiaotong University, 2015.
7. Diao Lei. Research on the marketing strategy of “coffee shop + ” innovative experience space [D]. Guizhou University, 2017.
8. Li Wanting. Research on localized marketing strategies of multinational corporations in the Chinese market: the case of Starbucks [J]. Modern Marketing (Late Edition) (2), 36-38. (2022).
9. Wei, Siyu. Analysis of marketing innovation under the new retail mode-taking “Luckin coffee” as an example. In E3S Web of Conferences (Vol. 235, p. 01074). EDP Sciences. (2021).
10. Cavusoglu, H., Cavusoglu, H., & Raghunathan, S. Value of and interaction between production postponement and information sharing strategies for supply chain firms. Production and Operations Management, 21(3), 470-488. (2012).
11. Kim M, Chai S. The impact of supplier innovativeness, information sharing and strategic sourcing on improving supply chain agility: Global supply chain perspective Int. J. Prod. Econ. 187 42–52. (2017).
12. Aprilia A, Laili F, Setyowati P B, et al. The effect of supplier innovation on supply chain agility: Evidence from coffee shops in Malang area. In IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science (Vol. 733, No. 1, p.012059). IOP Publishing. (2021, April).
The datasets used and/or analyzed during the current study will be available from the authors upon reasonable request.