Series Vol. 9 , 13 September 2023
* Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
This paper first introduces the development trend of new energy vehicles in the world, and then focuses on the development of new energy vehicles in the Chinese market. It also focuses on the development of the Chinese market for new energy vehicles in the next fifteen years from a policy perspective. Then it comes the current situation of the new energy industry, from its development history, to the current situation of China's new energy vehicle industry, and then to the prospect of new energy in China. After that, Tesla is analysed with Porter's five forces model, followed by a deeper analysis in terms of employee management, environmental impact, product impact, and marketing campaign. Later it discusses difficulties encountered by Tesla in terms of tax, localisation, brand competition, the impact of COVID-19, and safety issues. Lastly, a few recommendations are provided to encounter the difficulties mentioned above.
Tesla, organisational management, Chinese market analysis, NEVs, supply chain, battery supply, publicity
1. Das, H. S. Rahman, M. M. Li, S. & Tan, C. W. Electric vehicles standards, charging infrastructure, and impact on grid integration: A technological review. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 120 (2020) 109618. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2019.109618.
2. Yeung, G. ‘Made in China 2025’: the development of a new energy vehicle industry in China. Area Development and Policy 4(1) (2019) 39-59. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/23792949.2018.1505433.
3. Sun, Y. & Cao, C. Planning for science: China’s “grand experiment” and global implications. Humanities and social sciences communications, 8(1) (2021) 1-9. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1057/s41599-021-00895-7.
4. Chu, Y. (2021). China’s New Energy Vehicle Industrial Development Plan for 2021 to 2035. The International Council in Clean Transportation, 2021.
5. Tesla, I. (2021). Tesla Impact Report 2021.
6. Wen, W. Yang, S., Zhou, P. & Gao, S. Z. Impacts of COVID-19 on the electric vehicle industry: Evidence from China. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 144 (2021) 111024. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rser.2021.111024.
7. Cheng, E. In this context, "new energy vehicles" refers to vehicles powered by both battery and hybrid powertrains. Wang Chuanfu, the creator of BYD, said the category accounted for more than 10% of new car sales in China in March and rose to 11.4 percent in May. China economy, CNBC, 2021.
8. Long, Z. Axsen, J. Miller, I. & Kormos, C. What does Tesla mean to car buyers? Exploring the role of automotive brand in perceptions of battery electric vehicles. Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice 129 (2019) 185-204. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tra.2019.08.006.
9. Liu, C. Liu, Y. Zhang, D. & Xie, C. The capital market responses to new energy vehicle (NEV) subsidies: An event study on China. Energy Economics 105 (2022) 105677. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.eneco.2021.105677.
10. Du, X. & Li, B. (2021, December). Analysis of Tesla’s Marketing Strategy in China. In 2021 3rd International Conference on Economic Management and Cultural Industry (ICEMCI 2021) (pp. 1679-1687). Atlantis Press. DOI: https://doi.org/10.2991/assehr.k.211209.270.
11. Xinyi, L. Chen, Z. & Bai, C. (2022). Case Study Research in Tesla (China) Marketing Strategy Application During Covid-19.
12. Dai, R. (2020). The Analysis of Tesla's Competitive Strategy for the Chinese Market. The University of Nottingham, (199).
13. Mangram, M. E. The globalization of Tesla Motors: a strategic marketing plan analysis. Journal of Strategic Marketing 20(4) (2012) 289-312.
14. Yang, X. (2022, July). Research on Tesla’s Market—Based on Porter’s Five Forces and Ratio Analysis Model. In 2022 2nd International Conference on Enterprise Management and Economic Development (ICEMED 2022) (pp. 773-777). Atlantis Press.
15. Doude, M. (2020). Organizational culture in the United States automotive industry. Theses and Dissertations. 3416. https://scholarsjunction.msstate.edu/td/3416.
16. Kim, H. Analysis of How Tesla Creates Core Innovation Capability. International Journal of Business and Management 15(6) (2020) 42-61. DOI: i:10.5539/ijbm.v15n6p42.
17. Hasan, F. & Islam, M. R. New Energy Vehicles from the Perspective of Market and Environment. Journal of Business Strategy, Finance and Management, 4(1) (2022).
18. Bilbeisi, K. M. & Kesse, M. Tesla: A successful entrepreneurship strategy. Morrow, GA: Clayton State University 1(1) (2017) 1-18.
19. Musk, E. (2021). The secret Tesla Motors master plan (just between you and me). Tesla Blog, 2.
20. Harwit, E. (2022). Tesla Goes to China. Asia-Pacific Issues (152), 1-8.
21. Xia, X. (2022). SCM PMA Supply Chain Models---A Case Study of Tesla Motors. International Journal of Frontiers in Engineering Technology 4(4). DOI: DOI: 10.25236/IJFET.2022.040405
The datasets used and/or analyzed during the current study will be available from the authors upon reasonable request.