Series Vol. 33 , 10 November 2023
* Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
The novel coronavirus pneumonia has forced many people to work from home. In the home-based office scenario, ensuring work efficiency and results and staying on track with business progress is a big challenge for enterprise management. Therefore, increasingly, companies use bossware to monitor employees’ working status at home through the software, hoping to urge employees to work efficiently, but the result could be better. This paper expounds on the current situation of companies using bossware in recent years and analyzes the advantages and disadvantages of using bossware in enterprise management from multiple perspectives. At the same time, it puts forward suggestions on how to rationalize the management of employees under special circumstances, hoping that bossware can play its due role.
business management, bossware, benefits, challenges
1. Xu, A., Qian, F., Pai, C. H., Yu, N., Zhou, P.: The Impact of COVID-19 Epidemic on the Development of the Digital Economy of China-Based on the Data of 31 Provinces in China. Frontiers in Public Health 9, 2245 (2022).
2. Liu, Y., Yang, Y., Li, H., Zhong, K.: Digital economy development, industrial structure upgrading and green total factor productivity: Empirical evidence from China’s cities. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 19(4), 2414 (2022).
3. Harvard Business Review Homepage, https://hbr.org/2022/06/monitoring-employees-makes-them-more-likely-to-break-rules, last accessed 2022/06/27.
4. Gartner Homepage, https://www.gartner.com/en/articles/the-right-way-to-monitor-your-employee-p roductivity, last accessed 2022/06/09.
5. Electronic Frontier Foundation Homepage, https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2020/06/inside-invasive-secretive-bossware-trac king-workers, last accessed 2020/06/30.
6. The Guardian Homepage, https://www.theguardian.com/business/2022/sep/25/monitor-workers-at-home -security-cybercrime, last accessed 2022/09/25.
7. Nysscpa Homepage, https://www.nysscpa.org/news/publications/the-trusted-professional/article/stu dy-39-percent-of-workday-spent-on-actual-work-060717, last accessed 2020/08/02.
8. Associations Homepage, https://associationsnow.com/2021/12/leadership-pro-tip-make-empathy-your-g reat-resignation-firewall, last accessed 2023/01/07.
9. Zhang, T., Shi, Z. Z., Shi, Y. R., Chen, N. J.: Enterprise digital transformation and production efficiency: Mechanism analysis and empirical research. Economic Research 35(1), 2781-2792 (2022).
10. Trivedi, S., Patel, N.: Virtual Employee Monitoring: A Review on Tools, Opportunities, Challenges, and Decision Factors. Empirical Quests for Management Essences 1(1), 86-99 (2021).
The datasets used and/or analyzed during the current study will be available from the authors upon reasonable request.