Series Vol. 23 , 13 September 2023
* Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
A well-developed and well-executed marketing strategy is important for a company, especially for Adidas in the highly competitive sporting goods industry. Therefore, this essay analyzes Adidas’ marketing strategy with the help of the 4Ps marketing theory and proposes relevant strategy optimisation. The result shows that Adidas’ current marketing strategy focuses on incorporating sustainability to drive product innovation. This marketing strategy is beneficial in helping the company to engage consumers and build a credible brand image. However, this marketing strategy also faces problems with product innovation lacking competitiveness, product quality and pricing. Therefore, Adidas could optimise both its product strategy and its pricing strategy. Specifically, Adidas could focus on product innovation, drive digital transformation and increase its control over suppliers in order to expand its product strength and optimise its product strategy. At the same time, Adidas could optimise its pricing strategy by increasing its sensitivity to changes in competitors’ prices, consumers and market demand.
Adidas, marketing strategy, digital transformation, sustainability, The Marketing Theory of 4P
1. García, Justin D., PhD. ‘Adidas (company)’, Salem Press Encyclopedia, 2022.
2. Mahdi, H. A. A., Abbas, M., et al. A Comparative Analysis of Strategies and Business Models of Nike, Inc. and Adidas Group with special reference to Competitive Advantage in the context of a Dynamic and Competitive Environment. International Journal of Business Management and Economic Research, 6(3), 167-177. 2015.
3. ‘adidas AG SWOT Analysis’ 2022, Adidas AG SWOT Analysis, pp. 1–7, Retrieved https://search-ebscohost-com.uoelibrary.idm.oclc.org/login.aspx?direct=true&db=bth&AN=160532752&site=eds-live&scope=site.
4. Adidas group 2022, Adidas Financial Report https://www.adidas-group.com/en/investors/financial-reports/#/2021/.
5. Adidas group 2023, About Strategy,https://www.adidas-group.com/en/about/strategy-overview/.
6. Simatupang, S., Candra, V., et al. Product Quality Ability, Price and Product Design Influence Adidas Shoes Purchase Decision. International Journal of Multi Science, 2(07), 1-14, 2021.
7. Adidas group 2013, BOOST™ Changes Running Forever, https://www.adidas-group.com/en/media/ news-archive/press-releases/2013/boost-changes-running-forever/.
8. Adidas group 2020, Adidas: In 2021, For The First Time, More Than 60 Percent Of All Products Will Be Made With Sustainable Materials,https://www.adidas-group.com/en/media/news-archive/press-releases/2020/adidas-2021-first-time-more-60-percent-all-products-will-be-m ade/.
9. Strain, M. 2019, Advantages and Disadvantages of Outsourcing Production. Chron. https://smallbusiness.chron.com/advantages-disadvantages-outsourcing-production-18244.html
10. Katie Brown et al. An Empirical Examination of Consumer Survey Use in Trademark Litigation, 39 LOY. L.A. ENT. L. REV. 237, 241. 2019.
11. Matović, V., Stanić, M., & Drinić, I. Impact branding on consumer preference towards buying a certain product: Comparative analysis of brands Nike and Adidas. Ekonomika, 65(3), 35-44. 2019.
12. Adida, E & DeMiguel, V. Supply Chain Competition with Multiple Manufacturers and Retailers’, Operations Research, vol. 59, no. 1, pp. 156–172, 2011.
The datasets used and/or analyzed during the current study will be available from the authors upon reasonable request.