Series Vol. 35 , 10 November 2023
* Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
With the increasing demand for medical care, the development and impact of the medical instrument industry receive widespread attention. This article analyzes the market, policies, and other relevant information of the medical instrument industry in the United States and Germany. In the 21st century, the United States has the world's largest medical device market and the most advanced medical device technology, and has a strict and efficient examination and approval agency led by the FDA. It is the country with the most development prospects and potential, and has given birth to several highly competitive and innovative medical device enterprises. Germany has a century-long history of producing high-quality medical devices, and is the third largest medical device market in the world, second only to the United States and Japan. Siemens is one of the few large medical device manufacturers in Germany, which plays an important role in promoting the development of medical device industry in Germany. Taking Medtronic and Siemens as examples, the development of medical instruments is of great significance for the development and stability of a country.
medical instrument, medtronic, siemens, case study
1. Du, Y.: Development status and Market size analysis of the global medical device industry in 2022 - The United States maintains the leading position in the world, https://www.qianzhan.com/analyst/detail/220/220913-ca754231.html, last accessed 2023/4/13.
2. Innomd Homepage, To understand the structure and characteristics of the American medical device industry, https://www.innomd.org/article/630dca060efda1591e194729, last accessed 2023/4/14.
3. Fang, H.: Overview of medical device market in major countries and regions: Opportunities and challenges. Chinese medical device information, 15(10), 17-43 (2009).
4. Chang, Q., Liu, H.: Scientific and technological innovation management mechanism of world-class enterprises: Based on the case study of Siemens in Germany. China Science and Technology Forum, 312(04), 47-57 (2022).
5. Wang, M.: Strategic Analysis of Siemens Medical Devices in China Market. Shanghai Jiao Tong University (2016).
6. Siemens Healthineers. Artificial intelligence helps physicians make more informed decisions, https://www.siemens-healthineers.com/innovations#ai, last accessed 2023/4/17.
7. Ca, F.: FDA issues alert regarding Medtronic's recall of HVAD Pump Implant Kits due to risk of delayed or failed restart after stop. Chinese Journal of Medicine, 23(03), 194 (2021).
8. Li, M.: Medtronic's innovative hemodialysis project has been launched in Chengdu to help patients with kidney disease, http://www.rmzxb.com.cn/c/2014-08-15/363965.shtml, last accessed 2023/4/17.
9. Schmitt, J.: Reimbursement and pricing of medical devices in Germany. HEPAC 1, 146–148 (2000).
10. Zhang, B., Zhao, S., Zeng, Q., et al.: Research on High Quality Development Measures of Medical Device Industry. China Instrument and Meter 382(01), 31-36 (2023).
The datasets used and/or analyzed during the current study will be available from the authors upon reasonable request.