Series Vol. 12 , 13 September 2023
* Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
The sales of mobile phones have increased dramatically since 2010, and over one billion mobile phones have been sold per year since 2014. The competition in the mobile phone market is ever-growing, leading to greater variation in design characteristics, prices, and functions of mobile phones. As younger generations are overrepresented in the purchasing of mobile phones, their product expectations are a significant factor in the market behavior. This paper conducts a questionnaire survey on the ways that young people receive information on mobile phones and the factors that influence their purchasing decisions, and it further discusses the factors that are crucial for attracting consumers, and suggestions will be provided for manufactures about which functions and characteristics that they should develop further to fill consumer needs. The survey indicates that the young generation mostly get information of mobile phones from advertising, accept much higher prices than general population, attach great importance to the brand, pixel and build-in speaker of mobile phones.
customer choice, function and characteristics of phones, mobile phone marketing
1. Statista. (2022, August 11). Global smartphone sales to end users 2007-2021. Retrieved from https://www.statista.com/statistics/263437/global-smartphone-sales-to-end-users-since-2007/
2. Lenhart, A., Ling, R., Campbell, S., Purcell, K. Introduction: Why study mobile phones? Pew Research Center: Internet, Science & Tech. Retrieved from https://www.pewresearch.org/internet/2010/04/20/introduction-why-study-mobile-phones/
3. Mobile Phone Buying Decisions Among Young Adults: An Empirical Study of Influencing Factors. (2021, June 15). Retrieved from https://mpra.ub.unimuenchen.de/109251/1/MPRA_paper_109251.pdf
4. Investigation report on factors of mobile phone purchase. (2015, April 28). Retrieved from http://slide.tech.sina.com.cn/mobile/slide_5_22298_59665.html#p=7
5. Rowntree, O., Shanahan, M., Bahia, K., Butler, C., Lindsey, D., & Sibthorpe, C. (2020, March). The Mobile Gender Gap Report 2020. https://www.gsma.com/mobilefordevelopment/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/GSMA-The-Mobile-Gender-Gap-Report-2020.pdf
6. Creusen, M. E. H., & Schoormans, J. P. L. (2004, December). The Different Roles of Product Appearance in Consumer Choice. ResearchGate. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/227604994_The_Different_Roles_of_Product_Appearance_in_Consumer_Choice
7. Rohi, S. K. S. &. (2013, February 2). Investigating the factors affecting youth brand choice for mobile phones purchase – a study of private universities students of Peshawar. Retrieved from https://ideas.repec.org/a/eph/journl/v8y2013i2n7.html
8. Tanveer, M. (n.d.). Role of Ethical Marketing in Driving Consumer Brand Relationships and Brand Loyalty: A Sustainable Marketing Approach. MDPI. Retrieved from https://www.mdpi.com/2071-1050/13/12/6839/htm
9. Tabish, M. (2018, December). FACTORS THAT AFFECT BRAND LOYALTY: A Study of Mobile Phone Industry of Pakistan. ResearchGate. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/329811455_FACTORS_THAT_AFFECT_BRAND_LOYALTY_A_Study_of_Mobile_Phone_Industry_of_Pakistan
10. Ferjan, M. (2022, March 30). 31+ Important Headphones Statistics & More (2022). HeadphonesAddict. Retrieved from https://headphonesaddict.com/headphones-statistics/
The datasets used and/or analyzed during the current study will be available from the authors upon reasonable request.