Series Vol. 14 , 13 September 2023
* Author to whom correspondence should be addressed.
The mobile phone market is always changing. In recent years, fashionable and cheap mobile phones like OPPO have become consumers' preferences, and their market share is also expanding. This research will make predictions about the development of OPPO in the next five to ten years. To make the forecasts reliable and convincing, the SWOT model and data from "Counterpoint" and "The Economic Times" are used. Generally, the international mobile phone market is slowly recovering, but the shortage of hardware components for Chinese brands, such as OPPO and VIVO, and the crisis between Ukraine and Russia made the expected fast recovery fail. For OPPO, its expansion is restricted by China's policy of COVID-19 and it faces serious shortages on making some core hardware components, hence in the future 5 years, OPPO is not expected to occupy much market share. However, in a future decade, it is hard to say. Although the influence of China's COVID policy restriction and the Ukrainian War is expected to disappear, the key restriction for OPPO is the limitation on components. OPPO should develop some core components independently to reduce the impact of the external supply market on the company's expansion. In addition, OPPO pays more attention to offline sales, and its sales have been greatly affected during the COVID-19 period. In the future, OPPO can expand online and other channels and can flexibly switch if similar emergencies happen in the future.
OPPO, mobile phone market, SWOT, future prediction
1. XUN, H. (2018). The study of oppo mobile phone marketing strategies (Doctoral dissertation, SIAM UNIVERSITY).
2. Kang Miao. (2017). Advertising and marketing Strategy of Oppo mobile phone. Business Economics (3), 3.
3. Jin, Z. Y., Saif, M. B., Kee, D. M. H., Al Basis, G., Quttainah, M. A., Afifah, A., ... & Huang, Q. (2020). A Miss-step of Innovation and Marketing Strategies Plan: Can OPPO Find a Way Out? International Journal of Accounting & Finance in Asia Pasific (IJAFAP), 3(3), 89-97.
4. YOLOAN, M., Timbuleng, J. A., & Korompis, M. J. A. (2020). THE MARKETING STRATEGY OF OPPO AND XIAOMI SMARTPHONE DURING COVID-19 PANDEMIC (Case Study March-July 2020) (Doctoral dissertation, UNIVERSITAS KATOLIK DE LA SALLE).
5. Yusuf, A. (2021). The Influence of Product Innovation and Brand Image on Customer Purchase Decision on Oppo Smartphone Products in South Tangerang City. Budapest International Research and Critics Institute-Journal (BIRCI-Journal, 2 (1), 472–481.
6. Ha, N. (2016). Smartphone industry: The new era of competition and strategy.
7. Kabeyi, M. J. B. (2018). Michael porter’s five competitive forces and generetic strategies, market segmentation strategy and case study of competition in global smartphone manufacturing industry. IJAR, 4(10), 39-45.
8. Nakagawa, R. (2013). The Rapid Growth of The Smartphone Market in China and The "Business Ecosystem". Ritsumeikan International Studies, 25(3), 219-229.
9. Xing, Y. (2020). Global Value Chains and the Innovation of the Chinese Mobile Phone Industry. East Asian Policy, 12(01), 95-109.
10. Huimin Liu & Wei Liu (2021). Research on the internationalization strategy of Chinese smartphone enterprises -- A case study of OPPO mobile phone. Science and Technology Information, 19(9), 4.
11. Global Smartphone Market Share: By Quarter: Counterpoint Research. (2022). Retrieved 16 September 2022, from https://www.counterpointresearch.com/global-smartphone-share/
12. ABOUT - Counterpoint Research. (2022). Retrieved 16 September 2022, from https://report.counterpointre-search.com/posts/report_view/Outlook/3019
13. China Smartphone Market Share: By Quarter: Counterpoint Research. (2022). Retrieved 16 September 2022, from https://www.counterpointresearch.com/china-smartphone-share/
14. Oppo emerges as top smartphone maker in China in January 2021, Huawei loses steam: Report - ET Telecom. (2022). Retrieved 16 September 2022, from https://telecom.economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/op-po-emerges-as-top-smartphone-maker-in-china-in-january-2021-huawei-loses-steam-report/81349382?redirect=1
The datasets used and/or analyzed during the current study will be available from the authors upon reasonable request.